Our Services

What Constables Can Serve

All bonded constables may serve, within the Cities or Towns in which they are appointed or elected, the following:

  • All Summons and Complaints, as of 7/1/87 with no Ad Damnum stated, or up $7000.00 if stated in the complaint
  • Writs and Trustee Process (Under $7000.00 or any amount with a an approved 4c motion)
  • Small Claims Notices and Notices to Show Cause
  • And other certain writs and papers from District Courts
  • Massachusetts Superior and District Court Summons & Complaint with damages in excess of $7000 may be served under Rule 4c of the Mass. Rules of Civil Procedure. A Rule 4c Appointment also removes any jurisdictional limits and allows for service of process to be served outside a Constables areas of appointment.
  • Real Estate Attachment (Under $7000.00)
  • Land Court Process
  • Executions
  • Supplementary Process in any amount
  • All Process under Mass. G.L. Chap. 239
  • Summary Process, Ejectments, etc.
  • Notices of all kinds and Demands
  • Capias Civil Arrest
  • Probate Court Process, Domestic Relations
  • Subpoenas: Criminal, Civil, Federal
The following may be served anywhere by a Constable, including process of all kinds not required to be served by an officer:
  • Summons and Complaint for Divorce, Subpoenas (Criminal, Civil and Federal), Probate Citations, Notices and Letters of all kinds.

The jurisdiction of Constables in Massachusetts is in most cases limited to the cities and towns in which they are appointed or elected, with very limited exceptions.

An original BOND in the amount of $5,000 must be filed with each city or town clerk of the Constable’s appointment or election.